Have you ever asked yourself “How does Dropbox work?” You are not alone. For those unfamiliar with cloud-based applications, this can be a bit confusing.
This article will teach you how to use Dropbox to upload files and perform other basic tasks. You will also learn why this is the best way to share your pictures. As you finish reading this article, you will find a new understanding of this amazing cloud storage platform.
How Does Dropbox Work on PC?
What Is Dropbox?
If you don’t know about it, it’s best to start with the basics. Therefore, you will focus on how to use it on your PC (or Mac). Before we get into the details, let’s answer this question: What is Dropbox?
Well, this is an overview. Dropbox is a cloud storage platform, which means you can upload, download and modify various types of files anytime, anywhere. While you can tag certain files for offline reading, use the desktop version to work offline (as we’ll see later), and you can maximize all of its features when you’re connected to the Internet.
It is also a handy collaboration tool where you can share and collaborate on files or other types of content with your team. To get started with Dropbox, you need to create an account. Don’t worry, you can sign up with your Google Account. You can also download the app directly to your desktop.
How to Upload Files to Dropbox on the Web
How does Dropbox work with files? It’s so easy!
1. Open your Dropbox account.
2. On the upper left-hand side of the screen, you will see Upload Files. Click it.
3. Locate your files. You can upload as many files as you like. Click Choose files.
4. Press Done.
How about uploading photos? Dropbox has a default folder for that. Uploading your photos isn’t different from that of files.
1. Under Files or My Files, search for Photos folder. Click it.
2. Press Upload Files.
3. Search for the location of the photos.
4. Click Done.
How to Organize Files on Dropbox on the Web
Organizing Dropbox is optional. Also, if you want to find a file, it has a search function. However, when you sort them, you will be more efficient, especially during collaboration.
1. On the left-hand side of the dashboard, look for files.
2. Go to the right side and press New Folder.
3. Rename the folder.
4. Click on the file you wish to move.
5. On the right side, you will see choices such as Move, Copy, or Delete. Click Move or Copy.
6. Choose the new folder you made from the drop-down menu.
7. Press Copy or Move.
Note: You can move or copy many items simultaneously.
How to Share Files on Dropbox on the Web
7 ways to make music collaboration easier with Dropbox
How does Dropbox work to share files? There are different variations. To begin, the steps to share a file or folder is slightly different. When you share a file, you:
1. Go to Files or My Files (or the folder where the file is).
2. Select the file you wish to share.
3. Press the Share button that corresponds to the file.
4. A pop-up window will appear. You can then choose to email the file by adding the email addresses of the recipients or generate a link, which you can copy to your email and send to your contacts.
5. Change the Folder or Permission settings according to your preference.
Under the Permissions setting, you can indicate the type of activity that the recipient can perform on the folder. For example, they can only view but not edit folders. With folder settings, you can determine who has access to the folder. These options are not found when sharing files only.
Note: You can also edit the link settings, but you need to upgrade your account to Dropbox Plus before you can do so.
How Does Dropbox Work on Desktop
If you don’t have continuous access to the Internet when you’re working on multiple tasks on Dropbox or want to be more efficient, the best way is to download the desktop version. You can get it here. It takes less than three minutes to complete (depending on the speed of your PC).
Once everything is set up, the Dropbox logo will appear in the system tray. Whenever you want to upload a file or folder, click the Dropbox icon. It will guide you to the Dropbox folder.
Drag and drop files and folders seamlessly. You can also move files or folders up or down based on your preferred organization. The desktop version of Dubbox also makes it easy to upload and share photos and videos. How does Dropbox handle photos? For example, you can enable autoplay.
This means that each time you connect your PC to a device with photos and videos, you can automatically store or back up these files to Dropbox. How is this done:
1. Click the Dropbox icon on the system tray.
2. Look for the Gear icon, which is on the leftmost part of the menu tab.
3. Press Preferences.
4. Go to Import.
5. See to it Enable Camera Uploads For is set to Photos and Videos.
6. Press Change AutoPlay settings. Your Control Panel should open.
7. Tick Use AutoPlay for all media and devices.
8. Go to Removable Drive. See to it it says Import Photos and Videos (Dropbox).
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in June 2017 and has been updated for quality and relevancy.